Saturday, December 27, 2014

Criticized by a Homeless Man!

 I know it has been awhile since I posted on this blog, but yes, Dave and I are still making plans to hopefully turn my property into an Eco Village to home the homeless. We are really hoping to get back to posting more regularly on our blogs in 2015.

Yesterday (the day after Christmas) I had to run in to town to get a bag of dog food. I was so grateful for the monetary gift I had received to purchase it with so I don't have to cook for all of my guard dogs for a few days and can spend that time getting more work done. But that is straying off of the topic, sorry.

The day dawned fairly warm and nice for the day after Christmas, but no sooner than I had left home, the temps began to drop and cold, steady drizzle set in. By the time I left the store, everything outdoors was pretty much soaking wet and dripping. Just after I pulled out of the parking lot and got to the first corner, there stood a "homeless" man with his cardboard sign asking for "help, need money, money all stolen, etc." He had on a heavy shirt and a warm vest but no coat and was getting thoroughly rained on.

I pulled around on to the side street and stopped. I rolled the passenger window down but he did not come over to the car (I was guessing he didn't because I wasn't waving money at him). I got out and went over to him, my intention being to make sure he had a dry place to spend the night out of the rain. To get to him, there was a stretch of dead, smashed down tall grass, mushy from rain, that I had to get through, but I really hadn't paid it much notice. It was no worse than what I deal with on a regular basis when I am out feeding chickens and farm critters on a dreary day.

But as I got closer to him, he started yelling something that sounded to be in an angry tone. At first I could not understand what he was saying. As I got up to him, he started yelling at me that I should not be walking through wet grass getting my feet wet and what an idiot I was for doing so. UGH!!!! At that point I almost turned and walked away. Actually, I did turn away for a brief second, but then more consciously felt the cold rain so I turned back. I told him I didn't have any money but wanted to be sure he had a place to stay out of the cold and rain at night. My  intention was to offer him space on my property to set up a tent if he didn't, and make sure he had a hot meal and a warm bed for the night. But he said, "I always have a place to stay out of the cold and rain." and thanked me for asking, anyway, then turned back to wave his cardboard sign to passers by on the main street. It was our biggest/most shopped store in town, on the biggest return day of the year, and he had work to do! He had a busy corner to work. He made it clear he did NOT have time to talk to me if I wasn't handing him money. It appeared he didn't want anyone doing anything but driving by and handing money out their car windows. FORGET stopping to get out and actually talk to him!

I know the true homeless are out there, and truly needing help, but finding them to get help to them is going to be more challenging than I even anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment