Thursday, May 22, 2014

Why No Gardens?


stock photo
I have been researching through countless videos on tent cities and homeless villages. One thing that I have been shocked that I haven't seen is vegetable gardens! You see all these people living out in the woods, and out in wide open spaces, but no gardens growing.

I did see ONE village that homes the homeless that had some really nice raised bed gardens. Dignity Village
 Even though their village isn't built on soil, they manage to grow some of their food.

At some of the Tent Cities and Villages I have seen numerous people that have lived there long term . . . . 3, 5, even 10 years. It boggled my mind that they were so "in need", had ground space, yet didn't plant any gardens. Then I remembered what I have heard person after person, on those videos, say: "When I came here, I thought I would be here for only a few months, but years have passed and I am still here."  No one that goes into a Tent City to live expects to be there long enough to plant a garden!

With this in mind, this is one of the top priority items we want to set up for our homeless Eco Village (I hesitate to use the word 'homeless' because once they move here, even in a tent, they will no longer be homeless.) . . . . . vegetable gardens!!! No, we are not planning on people being here long enough to plant and harvest a full garden, but it does take a long while for some people to find jobs and get back on their feet, and in the meantime, they need inexpensive, yet healthy foods. All that healthy, fresh food, and the exercise people get maintaining the gardens will really benefit their health, which is important when trying to pull yourself back up, or any other time for that matter.  And if they end up having extra produce, they can sell it at the roadside and bring in some income to help run the Village.

Gardens will also give opportunity for the people that are currently here, to Pay It Forward to the next people that come after they, themselves have made it back on their feet. Even if someone isn't here long enough to harvest what they plant, the next people coming in will be able to, and then they can replant. It will be a constant, very positive, cycle that will benefit all that are involved.

What is your opinion of having vegetable gardens all around a Homeless Village?


No comments:

Post a Comment